Thursday, July 2, 2009

ALOHA from Hawaii!

Yes, from Hawaii. A few weeks ago, after working solidly for the past two months, which of course meant waking up to sub-freezing tempertures, scraping windshields and driving on packed ice and snow I knew i needed sun. I was just chilled to the bone, but not only physically but emotionally. The dreariness of not seeing the sun for the past two months as my day starts and ends in darkness just took its toll. I needed to ecape to someplace warm!

My funds were limited though...like everyone else in January, I felt that post-Christmas pinch. And becuase of that, I really needed to work and not take time off. But the pull of the sun was stronger so I started looking at my frequent flyer miles....

I looked at Florida and Mexico. There was nothing at all that did not include flying nearly 20 hours for a few days on the beach. I was about ready to just chuck the whole idea until Jim suggested I look into Hawaii. Usually it takes a big chunk of miles to get to the islands, but to my surprise, I needed only 40 thousand miles a piece for non-stop fare to Honolulu! I quickly bought three tickets to Oahu, leaving on Thursday and returning Monday Night/early Tuesday morning.

So my nice long weekend in warm, sunny Waikiki started last night. To get by on the cheap, we are staying in Waikiki and its just as congested, busy and full of life as I remember. Lots of construction and noise, but that refreshing Hawaiian congeniality and warmth is always not too far from the surface. We don't have much plans...we just finished breakfast and our biggest decison this morning is beach or pool. And then to recharge my batteries so I can live through another two months of winter!
Tags: | Edit Tags
Friday January 30, 2009 - 11:03am (MST) Edit | Delete

Previous Post: The End of the Year Survey
Comments(3 total) Post a Comment

Jennie
Offline
Oh Wow! Good for you! Have fun!

Friday January 30, 2009 - 10:47am (PST) Remove Comment

Bruce B
Offline IM
Remember next time, I sometimes qualify as carry-on luggage.

Friday January 30, 2009 - 06:05pm (PST) Remove Comment

libra…
Offline
Hope the trip was all you needed. It's hard to remember the sun these days -- so glad you got away for some r&r.

Tuesday February 3, 2009 - 11:17pm (CST) Remove Comment

No comments:

Post a Comment